What to do in case of an accident?

At Pine Ridge Services we’ll do everything we can to ensure that you are safe. Please follow the instructions below in the event of an accident or a vehicular emergency. You and your passengers’ safety is of the utmost importance to us.

  1. If the accident is an emergency, call 911 and follow the instructions given to you. Use 911 for emergencies only!
  2. If the accident is not an emergency, call the local police for instructions. In Ontario, all personal injury accidents and all accidents resulting in property damage of $1,000 or higher must be reported to the Police. The city of Sault Ste. Marie has a Collision Reporting Centres (CRC)* where you must report in person to these centres within 24 hours. (Only if Police were not present at the scene.) Find out what is required in your area, and keep this information handy.
  3. If safe to do so, remove vehicles from the roadway.
  4. Record details of the accident. How, when and where it happened. Include time, date, location, speed of your vehicle, weather and road conditions. Draw a sketch of the accident scene indicating the position and direction of the vehicles and cross streets.
  5. Exchange information with the other involved parties. Name, Driver’s Licence number, addresses, phone numbers, insurance and vehicle particulars.
  6. If there are any independent witnesses, obtain their name and phone number.
  7. If the Police come to the scene, answer questions honestly, but do not make comments about the accident, or admit fault, or ascribe blame to other driver(s). In Ontario, your insurance company will determine fault based on “Fault Determination Rules” regulated by the Provincial Government.
  8. If use of the CRC is applicable in your area, take or have your vehicle taken to the CRC. You should attend with your vehicle. Without exception, vehicles that have to be towed must go directly (except after hours) to the CRC from the collision location. If there is not a CRC in your area, you should wait for the Police to attend the scene. Pine Ridge Services will try to answer your questions and possibly help by making some suggestions.
  9. Bring your documentation with you to the CRC. Driver’s licence, ownership, insurance, details of the accident, other involved parties information.
  10. Call your insurance agent. A representative will review the claim with you and answer any of your questions. Pine Ridge Services will provide a safe storage area (for a fee) for your convenience.
  11. Your insurance agent will arrange for pick-up and towing of your vehicle from our compound to a repair facility of your choosing. That’s what you need to know. Pine Ridge Services staff will help you where ever we can.

*Collision Reporting Centre is a Police and Private facility that assists motorists in reporting motor vehicle collisions to the Police.


What information should I record at the scene of an accident?

Please record the following information about the other driver involved in the accident.

  1. Other Driver’s Name
  2. Other Driver’s Address
  3. Other Driver’s Telephone Number
  4. Other Driver’s License Number
  5. Other Driver’s Insurance Company
  6. Other Driver’s Policy Number
  7. Other Driver’s Vehicle Description
  8. Witness Information


Both Pine Ridge Services locations are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Serving the motoring public from both Sault Ste. Marie and Thessalon

Locally: 705-254-8257
Toll Free: 1-866-569-1964